You have several choices to apply for funding your campus event or organization. Large all-campus events are funded by USS, but also by the Student Activities Finance Committee (SAFC) and, for undergrad events, Lang Student Union (LSU). Certain initiatives can even qualify for funding through an Office of the Dean or the Office of the Provost.
The USS does not provide general funding for organizations. That is done by SAFC and OSDA.
The USS regularly funds all-campus events, that is, events that involve students from at least three divisions. We are always looking for new ideas, so if you have some, let us know! We welcome proposals for funding of events that serve students across the university.
Please read all this information thoroughly before submitting your proposal.
For the 2013-2014 academic year, the USS will grant up to $5000 per semester of funding to student organizations officially recognized by the Office of Student Development and Activities (OSDA), student groups, and student- and departmental-initiatives.
All those interested and qualified for funding must submit a completed Online Funding Form at least 48-hours prior to a scheduled meeting, and must have a representative to present their proposal before the Senate. Any proposal submitted less than 48-hours ahead of time, as well as walk-in proposals, may be scheduled to the next meeting, at the sole discretion of the Senate. Presentations should be no longer than three minutes, with five minutes available for questions and suggestions. The USS may vote that evening or recommend changes to the current proposal. The USS reserves the right to fund only specific parts of any proposal, amend a proposal, set expiration dates allocated funds, and/or make funding contingent on procedures or protocols set by the Senate. Allocation is also dependent upon the organization’s capacity to follow Funding Allocation Guidelines.
Once a proposal has been reviewed, the primary contact for the proposal will be informed as to the result of the vote. If passed, funding can be accessed through either OSDA (registered student groups) or the Office of Student Services (all other initiatives.) Students will also be contacted by members of the USS Finance Committee for further assistance and to confirm final expenditures.
During the funded event, credit must be given to the USS as a sponsor, in the form of verbal acknowledgment and placement of USS logo on all publicity materials. Once funding is approved, all of these necessary materials will be given to the organization.
FUNDING ALLOCATION GUIDELINES
- Projects must be open to all members of The New School community.
- Projects must be headed by currently enrolled New School students.
- Note: Representative students in an organization must attend a USS meeting to give your proposal at least 3 weeks before the disbursement of your funds is needed.
THE USS DOES NOT FUND:
- travel or lodging without exemption from the Office of Student Services
- for-profit events
- catering expenses over $20 per person
- any funding over $5,000 per group, per semester
- more than $500 per person in transportation costs
- senior capstones or individual pursuits outside of The New School
- any project that receives a grade or is a contributing factor to the graduation requirements of a student
FINAL CHECKLIST BEFORE SUBMISSION
- Check once more if you can ask funding requests from OSDA, Student Activities Finance Committee (SAFC), Lang Student Union (LSU) (for undergrad events), and your own department’s Office of the Dean or the Office of the Provost
- You can also think of self-funding possibilities, such as doing organization’s fund-raising activities, using students’ own supplies/tools, reusing past decoration materials, etc.
- Have you also tried looking at our Resources page?
We thank you for taking the time to read these guidelines and apply for funding. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to attend a meeting or email firstname.lastname@example.org.